text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Hello,
  I will be thankful for relating to the following questions regarding:
         1. Night pumping
          2. Prevention of neonatal and breast fungus
          3. Feeding the near-term baby from the breast

1.  Mother pumps around 400 cc of milk during the day, in addition to partial breast feeding (maximum 30cc at a time). She pumps app. 60cc every 3-4 hours, yet ejection of milk when pumping at night is very limited if at all, although the first morning pump is plentyfull-160cc. 
  - What can the reason be?
  -how to treat it? (I say, treat, because she is frustrated by the futile pumping)

2. Should one treat nipples to prevent breast fungus when suffering from vaginal fungus? Both mother and baby received antibiotics due to early eruption of membranes. Mother is now suffering and began treatment for vaginal Candida; doctor claimed that it is not necessary to start nipple treatment as it is not the same fungus. 
  From my personal experience in the past as public health nurse I noticed that babies of mothers that were treated for vaginal Candida during pregnancy, tended to suffered from mouth thrush and dipper rash that responded only to anti fungal treatment. This was also my personal experience with my children. 

3. Breast feeding the near term baby has been documented as safe and a positive in the literature, requiring good monitoring for ensuring the baby is receiving enough milk, and adding mothers milk as needed. However preterm nurseries in my town encourage feeding breast milk yet prefer bottle or tube feeding over breast feeding. They claim that feeding from the breast is too tiresome for the preterm (35 weeks in our case). Many neonatal units I came across send mothers home with the preterm babies feeding on breast milk but not having experienced feeding at the breast, they are instructed to breast feed once a fortnight to begin with, only after they are feeding independently from the bottle – they claim there is no nipple confusion for the preterm. I believe this regime should be challenged, and would like to receive you're attitude. 

I am studying lactation counseling, and will appreciate any further  information and advise in these subjects, in addition to you're suggestions regarding my daughters needs. 
  Thank you, 
  Miriam 

---------------------------------
Moody friends. Drama queens. Your life? Nope! - their life, your story.
 Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2