Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2014 18:29:31 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Here's one that's kind of up my alley!  Over the years, I've known several moms who have done this, although usually they become pregnant after, or right before, adopting.  I can't think of one who has started with the adopted baby, so close to delivering, so I don't know if there would be a concern about starting labor too soon.  I will ask on the adoptive breastfeeding group and see if there is anyone who has started nursing an adopted baby that far into a pregnancy.

Anyway, if it is considered safe to breastfeed, I would suggest that she nurse with the Lact-Aid, once the baby starts needing more than just colostrum.  Then, when she delivers, she should be able to stop the Lact-Aid soon after.  Several of the moms I've worked with have done that, with satisfactory results.  That is what I would want to do.  Donated breast milk or formula could be used.  

Another option would be to nurse the baby a few times a day, for comfort, and some colostrum, and supplement with bottles until after delivery.  Or, she could even just bottle feed until delivery.  Babies who are six weeks old generally are perfectly willing to take the breast, although the latch might not be as good as it would have been if they had started nursing when they were younger.  

There was a time that I was hoping to become pregnant while nursing one of my adopted sons, then tandem nurse, but fertility always eluded us.  I did end up tandem nursing but it was that child at age 2.5 and another adopted child, who started nursing at age 12 months.  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2