Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 16:09:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
I loved Winnie's analogy about the window for setting a broken bone.  Indeed both times I broke bones (really this notion I had of exercising that developed when I turned the same age my mother did when she had a heart attack -- probably from the cigarettes she had smoked starting at age fourteen -- was SUPPOSED to keep me healthy not break bones) -- there was a window of opportunity for setting the bones and surgery.  In both cases the orthopedic surgeon (for the wrist) and the ENT (for the nose) scheduled me for the very next day -- which in both cases was 10 days post break.  The orthopedic surgeon where I was snowboarding would not cast my wrist until the swelling had gone down - -2 days post break.   Physical therapy also had "window" of opportunity -- couldn't do it too soon after the surgery, but had to do it before the scarring started limiting mobility.  I think that was about a week or two post surgery.

So, in thinking about tongue ties, Cathy Genna gave a good example of when one window might close for the infant's ability to learn new sucking skills -- like physical therapy after a bone break and/or surgery.  There may also be a different earlier window within which severe pain may cause the mother to give up -- like the casting of the bone break and perhaps a window jumping in too soon might spook the parents out of having a necessary procedure done or being scared that the procedure did harm.  

So glad there are so many smart people on Lactnet willing to discuss these issues and provide analogies to job the brain.

Best, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2