Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2013 09:11:36 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
Hi Debbie,
From what you have described it is entirely possible that this mum has experienced ordinary breast feeding mismanagement with her first child. What makes you suspect that insufficient glandular tissue is a likely possibility?
Karleen Gribble
Australia
Sent from my iPad

On 13/10/2013, at 7:29 AM, vgthorley <[log in to unmask]>
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Debbie Dixon" <>
> To: <[log in to unmask]>
> Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2013 11:10 PM
> Subject: ?insufficient glandular tissue
> 
> 
> Hello everyone
> I have a client booked for next week who is currently 14 weeks pregnant with her 2nd child. First breastfeeding experience did not go well (she had had a good pregnancy with first baby but ended up with a posterior, non-descending baby,  a long 20-21 hours labour & an emergency CS). She took a long time to recover after the birth and thought her milk never really came in well & was topping up with a bottle.
> When I took a preliminary history (I will of course take a much more detailed one when I see her next week in person), she said she had "some" breast changes but not anything substantial. She was unhappy with the breastfeeding help she received at the time & felt nobody really directly addressed the specific problem. As you probably all know, in Australia, doctors are able to prescribe Domperidone, but the doctor she had at the time was  unwilling to prescribe it (and she found Metaclopramide useless). She seems to be into herbal remedies, as she has taken raspberry leaf tea, Alfalfa capsules, Fenugreek and Milk Thistle.
> She hopes to go for VBAC with this birth and contacted me to get some appropriate suggestions to be better prepared this time around. She has done a lot of reading during this pregnancy & has read some of the Diana West book "Making More MIlk". She seems a well educated woman & still feels that, from what she has read & learnt, that she may not have sufficient glandular tissue.
> I will do a breast assessment along with a detailed history. I am assuming (at this point, before seeing her, that the first baby's birth & post-natal period has no doubt had a major impact on her breastfeeding experience), but if it does turn out to be related to a lack of glandular tissue, what can I offer her? I have never had a client with this before & I would only be speaking from textbook knowledge. What have others found to be most helpful to these women? Would ante-natal expressing from later in the pregnancy be useful to store some milk in preparation?
> Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.
> Debbie Dixon IBCLC CIMI PMC (infant massage)Dubbo NSW AUSTRALIA
>            ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome 
>            ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2