Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 2009 06:56:56 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Assisted a mom yesterday on Day Two, a few hours before discharge. She said baby won't latch because her breasts are too full, so she had been bottle feeding. She was engorged and dripping; nipples everted and graspable, in my opinion. Baby was asleep so helped her pump down a bit. She got 3oz and just barely relieved internal pressure, but her areolas were a bit softer. Baby woke up and easily latched with mom sidelying; nursed both breasts with audible swallows for 40 min total (estm 20 & 10), deep jaw excursions with pause; released & slept. Babe still asleep an hour later when they were wheeled out the door. Her breasts were palpably softer, but still could have nursed a twin if she had one! 

Strongly advised her to NOT use formula any more and explained why. Especially because she BrFd 2 other children for 1.5 & 2 years, always with "too much milk" and experiencing engorgement and plugged ducts. Don't know why she wasn't able to latch this baby, considering her previous history, but...  maybe caught up in this American thing of bottles in the crib drawers?

She told me a doctor in her home country, Nepal, gave her something called "belong" which he said was "like a vitamin". She pronounced it with accent on the first syllable: BE-long. I had first thought she was talking about a B Vitamin. But she corrected my impression by spelling it like that. So, does anyone know anything about this substance that she said reduced her production, but did not make it go away?

Phyllis

--
Phyllis Adamson, BA, IBCLC
Glendale, AZ.
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2