>from Amazon.) No company in their right mind would distribute a book which
>genuinely contrasts breastfeeding, seeing it as the only norm, the only food
>fit for babies if you want them to grow up, or grow up normal, with the
>synthetic products created by industry from everything including GM
>organisms including soil fungi and marine algae. I am sure that it will be
>like the ACOG guide for parents: no problems equating formula and
>breastmilk, and no guilt trips for mothers allowed. How many other
>breastfeeding books are equally industry-acceptable and no use to parents
>who need the real truth in plain language to influence their decisions?

>I hope to see devastating reviews of what has to be a lousy book in this
>essential area (or Ross would not be willing to circulate it).

I have the book, and while I have not read it word for word, it strikes me as a very good book. In Chapter one: Choosing to Breastfeed: page 8 is a chart:
Health Risks for Formula-Fed vs. Breastfed Babies

I don't want to break any copyright laws, but the chart goes on to say that formula fed babies have X chance of contracting various diseases as a breastfed baby. For example, "a formula fed baby has 2 to 7 times the chance of contracting allergies, eczema as a breastfed baby during the breastfeeding period." And it goes on that way for ear infections, gastroenteritis, meningitis, UTIs, Type 1 diabetes, SIDS, pneumonia/lower respiratory tract infection, inflammatory bowel disease, Hodgkin's lymphoma. The text goes on to cite the benefits of breastfeeding: immunologic, developmental, psychological, as well as benefits to mom.

I think the author (MD/IBCLC) does a great job of explaining why breastfeeding is superior to formula. I liked the way she listed the choices a mother has: breastfeed directly, give bottles of expressed milk, use donated milk from a milk bank, or use formula. Then goes on to say, " However, before you make your decision, you owe it to your baby to learn how breastfeeding benefits you both."  I especially liked the way she explored the typical reasons mothers choose not to breastfeed, and suggested answers to them all. I saw no efforts to assuage any guilt for formula feeding.

The parts that I read sounded like a LLL meeting (except for the part about the family bed, but even that was softer than I have ever heard the AAP be about that!)

I understand what others kindly posted in response to my earlier question-- explaining to me how putting the logo on the front cover makes it look like the AAP equates formula with breastfeeding and how breastfeeding mothers make the best formula customers. However, I think Ross is taking a risk by giving out this book. Perhaps they make the deal before they read the book? Perhaps they thought they would get the same old AAP routine? If so, they miscalculated, IMHO.

I have no problems adding this book to my LLL group library.(without the Ross logo, of course). I may have to take back all the mean things I said about it to my sister, who works for Bantam...

-Arlene

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2