Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:43:31 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
After lurking for only a short time I'm sure someone will have suggestions for my query. 
Permission to post - I have a mum with a 10 day old term healthy baby born by caesarian . No complications for either except failure to progress in labour. 
Mum had sore nipples initially which settled but which have stirred up again due to bubs clicking (according to mum) 
Despite my best efforts she persists in clicking almost from the outset of a feed & has done since day 1, her palate & suck seemed normal,the P& A seems optimal .Ideas??

Also baby has quite severe colic/ ? reflux but feeds well at feeds before the unsettled &screaming starts 10-20 mins later for up to 2-3 hrs of arching& pulling up legs. Initially this was a session at 2 in the morning but now occuring afternoon also. Normal motions- albeit flatulent,let down not forceful or supply over abundant ,weight gains great .
 I've suggested finishing the first breast first ,same  breast inside 2- 3 hrs , upright after feeds ,taking bub off breast briefly if gulping at letdown comforting techniques,self care for parents ,medical check ("colic") and most recently today I organised a paediatric referral.
Today they insisted on hiring a pump so mum could express & get some sleep with view to formula as next step if things don't settle . ( Yes we've discussed the fact that this may not occur )Dad is getting tired & beginning to waver in support.
All suggestions & wisdom welcome !

Sue Barford IBCLC,EEN
Sth West Qld,Australia 
Australian Breastfeeding AssociationCounsellor since 1991

[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2