Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:32:17 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Hello All,
A few important points seemed to have been forgotten in the discussion of fasting and breastfeeding - the importance of culturally appropriate care and research based evidince.  As Katherine pointed out, Orthodox Jewry does have a lot of rules.  These rules, or rather code of law,  form the guiding principals in the Orthodox/Observant Jews life.  They influence every aspect of life, including breastfeeding.  Anyone advising these mothers has to be aware, knowledgable and respectful of these rules just like while caring for people of any culture or religion.  If you are unable to do so for lack of knowledge or personal bias, refer the mother to someone else.  My OBGyn, for instance, is not an Orthodox Jew but most of her clientelle is.  As I'm in my eighth month she was worried that dehydrating would lead to contractions, she forbade me to fast.   What she said was, "you don't have to eat but you do have to drink water."  She said it with so much understanding of how difficult it would be for me not to fast on Yom Kippur, that I was able to heed her advice.  Had she said it with obvious scorn for the practice I couldn't have respected her opinion.  The Rabbis base their descisions on the opinion of an appropriate doctor (as well as other personal factors affecting the person in question.)
    If staying in bed all day will help a woman get through a fast, then why not encourage it.  If having pumped milk available in the freezer gives her a sense of security, than why not.  Women leaving their babies to go back to work are encouraged to pump their milk.  Should fufilling ones religious obligation be considered any less important?
    The other point overlooked in this discusion is evidence based research.  Thankyou Esti for pointing out what Ruth Lawrence says about fasting.  My first Lactation Management instructor also refered to research which found that a 24 hour fast does not effect milk supply. I can't remember her source, it was a long time ago. I would be very interested to see more research on the subject since it is very relevant to me and the mothers I work with.  If anyone knows of anything please post it.  No one mentioned any research indicating that fasting is indeed harmful.  Though we shouldn't base our advice on personal experience, I will tell you that I have nursed several babies, even very young ones, through 25 hour fasts without any problems or reduction in milk supply.  You just take the baby to bed for the day.  Would any of you discourage that?
Thanks for letting me rant a bit.
Chayn Fogelman
Israel

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2