Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 19:12:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
I have 6 positive yeast cultures and 15 additional cultures pending from various PIS pumps that were used over the past 8 years.  It is AMAZING, just how different each of the pumps are in design.  The bag designs are really easy to crack open, but the hard plastic free standing models required lots of hammering to get inside past the membrane.

The bag type pumps were GROSSLY contaminated and mold was growing in various stages and could be easily seen by the naked eye.  The few other designs, were not evident by the eye, but, cultures were obtained and photographed, and ONE of those cultures was positive.

I have received dozens of email/phone calls of people wanting to send me their used PIS, for additional data.  This entire yeast issue just fell into my lap, when I had 6 patients over a period of 6 months, who had yeast infections that could not be cleared up with the standard yeast protocol treatment.  My husband who is an OB/Gyn and my patients doctor, could not figure out why we couldnt successfully treat our patients.  After sorting through all of the the data, we found one common denominator and  that was they were all using a borrow PIS, pump!!

I decided to offer one mom who was really struggling with her baby's horrific oral yeast infection, a free hospital grade pump (she was an over producer and baby nursed on one side only), if she would allow me to take apart her pump to investigate possible contamination.  Thankfully, she agreed!

Honestly, I didn't think I would find ANYTHING. period.   Imagine my surprise, when right before my eyes, I found black mold, green mold, white mold and lord knows what else, inside each layer of the PIS pump components!  My entire body began to tremble as I stumbled upon my findings!

Yes, I know that "Medela", offers a warning about their pumps.  I also know that many of my patients have used "Borrowed" PIS pumps and have not had a problem with yeast contanimination.  What I know now, is that I have documentated evidence that supports a relationship between moms who have resistant yeast infections and used PIS pumps. 

Yes, when I have all of my findings documented and finalized, The results will be available for all.

Got wine?
Jody

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2