Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:22:58 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
My name is Cathy Dickey. I'm an LLL Leader & newly accredited IBCLC in Mountain Grove, MO.  I received a call today from a mom who is a friend of a friend and she is desperate for help in Scranton, PA.  Mother is experiencing terrible nipple pain while nursing her just turned one year old toddler. Problems began when the toddler bit her & "nicked" her nipple, she reports.  Skin began flaking & "peeling in layers".  She does not report being itchy or burning.  She spoke with two different LC's on the phone and both recommended treating for thrush.  She used gentian violet & GSE with no real improvement.  We discussed possibly needing a prescription if the problem is indeed thrush. Mastitis began due to mom not nursing as normal because her nipples hurt so badly.  She saw a doctor who said she did not have thrush & to treat only for mastitis. Mom also considered that she might have psoriasis on her nipples as she has dealt with this in the past.  I encouraged her to see a dermatologist to determine if condition might be psoriasis.  Derm told her it was not psoriasis, but a bacterial infection of the skin. He did not believe problem was thrush.  He told her she'd need to stop nursing if she wanted to get better and suggested she use Vaseline on her nipples.  He told her he could prescribe a steriod cream, but that would require she stop nursing.  Obviously he does not sound supportive of breastfeeding and she is no closer to an answer to her problem.  I'm hoping someone can possibly direct us to an IBCLC who might be able to help in this situation or maybe even a breastfeeding friendly dermatologist in the Scranton area.  Mom does not have health insurance and her husband is balking at her spending much more on doctors since she has not been helped so far.  
Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom of help you can offer....

Cathy Dickey, MSW, IBCLC, LLL Leader
Mtn. Grove, MO

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2