Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2011 14:55:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I think in hospitals it is important to keep talking about "safety" and what is the evidence telling us?  We have strict protocol on hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) but the nurses (well the majority of them anyway) know that means breastfeed the baby, not necessarily formula.  Unless that baby isn't latching and then they (well, most of them) know to start mom on pumping.  I don't know but just a couple of nurses that will try to help the mom hand express colostrum.  Something I will bring up AGAIN in our annual review this year.  

Hospitals listen to anything that makes patients safe.  Breastfeeding is safe for babies and mothers.  The nurses need the education as to why and with time more and more will work harder at it. 

We are a Magnet Hospital so I am constantly saying, we are Magnet, "We are to practice the evidence and what we do sometimes is not following the evidence.  We need to change that."

Yes, I annoy some people.  Yes, I am talked about, "Pam doesn't get it, we are too busy, etc etc".  I just do the best I can to keep helping where I can to show them they can do better.  I try to give a medication to a patient to help a nurse out, do an assessment on a mother or baby, etc.  They are busy but if a handful of nurses are already doing better then they all can improve.  All I can say is that in 17 years we are not where I would like to be, but we have made gigantic strides!  I have to control my impatience at times and remind myself of just how much better it is becoming. That isn't easy when I "see" it all so clear!

Pamela Hendrix, BA, RNIV, IBCLC, RLC
S. Florida

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2