Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 1995 13:24:00 GMT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Hi all
I have seen two mothers recently with similar breast problems. Both are feeding 8-12 week
old babies, no problems until a few weeks ago. One mother has found that the upper outer
aspect of both breasts is continually full, tender and doesn't seem to drain properly,
but never develops into mastitis. She has found no relief from different feeding positions,
cabbage leaves, etc. These parts of her breasts feel very firm compared to the rest (even
just after a feed). Baby is thriving, but mum is getting tired of constantly sore lumpy
breasts. She does not seem to have an 'oversupply'.
The other mother has a recurrently blocked area of the breast at '3 o'clock' on her
right breast (was left side originally !). Again, no amount of frequent feeding, changes
in position etc have helped. The blockage comes every 10-14 days, lasts 2-3 days then
resolves. She has not had mastitis. I have suggested adding lecithin to her diet.
Neither mother seems to have underlying pathology relating to the blocked parts, no
previous surgery, no medications. One mother had breastfed a previous child for 6 months with
no problems.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I am missing here, or give further suggestions to help
these uncomfortable mums? I'd appreciate any help.

Fiona Coombes
Family Physician, NMAA Counsellor, IBCLC
Perth Western Australia
Where the weather is hotting up for xmas.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2