Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 14:03:41 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I posted earlier about my frustrations, now I just wonder how you all counsel moms with regards to LAM?  I mean I am always cautious not to have them believing that they can go whoop it up with their spouse and not worry at all about getting pregnant again.  I go through the steps with them, you know,  are you exclusively breastfeeding, etc.  And then when I get to the end I always say, but  the only real sure method of birth control is abstinence.

The reason that I ask this is because a woman on another list that I contribute to is making statements like this:

"Actually the first period is usually anovulatory. you are assuming all post-partum bleeding is menstruation.  My point was women have a right to know that any bleeding in the first two months pp can be disregarded if the baby is exclusively nursing.  There is no reason to 
put chemicals in our bodies when it isn't necessary.  Incidentally, the odds of getting pregnant in the first three pp months is almost nil, in the next three months if the mom is amenorrheic it only goes up to 1%.  This is better than any artificial method.  "

I know that I walk a fine line when I counsel women via email, I always try to get a good accurate history, etc.  But there are these people out there that just spout off information and don't think about the repercussions of it.  I would never tell a mom to disregard her first two periods because they *may* not be ovulatory, I worry that this is setting a mom up for failure should she accidentally get pregnant.

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
IBCLC Exam Candidate
Homeopathic Counselor in training
www.nurturingmama.com  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2