Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2011 20:43:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (43 lines)

Annie,
When I teach the Holistic Practices in Lactation workshop, I spend an entire section on building relationships with 
holistic providers for several reasons--first so that you have really great people to refer to and secondly so that when you
have a mom who really cannot afford care you have established such good will with the provider that you can usually
step in on her behalf. I have even done things like split my fee with the chiropractor or made a payment arrangement 
for my fees so that the so that the baby can get proper care. I try to be very careful of who I advocate for in this way, but 
it has sometimes meant the difference between breastfeeding and not. I have also asked permission from the HCP to 
suggest either a reduced fee or a payment plan to the mom. Often, when mom sees the results of the chiro.CST, she will 
realize it is integral to the healing and find a way to work out payments (even if reduced). My work is useless if the 
structural problems cannot be resolved. 

Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, France
Intuitive Parenting Network, LLC

I have a 40 year old mother of 3.  First child breastfed for only a few weeks, second BF uneventfully for a year and now baby #3 born with type II-III tongue tie.
Baby is 8 weeks now and has been giving mom sore nipples from the beginning along with slow weight gain.  Had TT clipped twice (scarred over after the first frenotomy, the last one done a week ago Monday).  Mother is still experiencing sore nipples at latch but eases during feeding, it is bearable and nipples are no longer visibly damaged so things have improved. Baby is still underweight, mother's milk supply is low.  Baby reluctantly takes a bottle.  Mom is taking fenugreek, doing breast compressions, pumping to raise her supply.  No signs of yeast/thrush and mom still has some mupirocin from when her nipples were infected.
Mother is doing pacifier pull and other exercises to coax the tongue out but cannot afford CST.
I suspect that the underweight has a bearing on her latch so I have the mom really encouraging the bottle with formula for extra calories after breastfeeding since mom's breasts don't respond well to the pump.  Does anyone else have other suggestions to help relieve her nipple discomfort?
Annie Brown, FNP, IBCLC
Greenwich CT

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2