Tue, 13 Feb 2007 00:46:25 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
Jan. 12, 2007
cktsw5#optonline.net
re: breast shells and inversions

Though no one has, to my knowledge, addressed this in the literature, there are "inversions," and there are "inversions." Though I Have been told that "all" should be ale to BF, in my experience this is not true.

There is the simple soft inversion, where a small, pink and immatue nipple turns into the areola (like an "inner" belly button).  These women can often, if they are committed, breast feed, the nipple comes out, toughens and works for the period.  Then there is the areola which surrounds a thicker inversion (like a sink hole)--this inversion can not be altered by stretching exercises, pumps, or shells after birth (EVEN after engorgement has passed).  most difficult is the nipple I liken to  tree bark, with a seemingly shallow inversion which is immovable.  Needless to say, these women try and try, do everything right, and still don't quite succeed.  I often notice, even with a good pump, that little milk comes out of these nipples, and I wonder about the development of the nipple holes. The confounding part of this is that many of these women come from cultures in which all women breast feed.
My specific interest is this topic is that ALL the literature simply refers to the "inverted nipple," and I have never seen any further breakdown.
Has anyone else any thoughts on this subject, has anyone else any good research.  Difficult to look at someone's nipple and say, "Oh dear, it just won't work"!

In my practice I did not buy "breast-healing patches," nipple shields (too easy to fall back on and I had a large nursing staff), nipple everters, etc.  I did use syringes and feeding tubes, cups, and occassionally, if a mother was adamant, cream (and, the ultimate cream is the triple cream with antibiotic in it, as used by THREE OF THE PEDIATRICIANS ON STAFF.  My best took, the absolute best of all, was hours of skin-to-skin contact between mom and baby.
Enjoying this link immensely.
ckt
New York (West.)

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2