Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 23:36:35 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
Hi:

Mom has given me permission to share as she struggles to find help.

Initial consult with mom was for sleepy baby who lost a fair amount of weight in the first week of life.  Young mom, think she is about 17, who is being Mothered by her Aunt.  Aunt is wonderfully supportive and mom lives with her.  Aunt has brought her in and paid for 2 consults.  Aunt has been extremely helpful with giving mom help with all aspects of baby care, when she is home from her full time day job.

So, latch is corrected.  Baby is gaining beautifully, however, within 1 week of initial consult, mom gets the first of 3 plugged ducts/combined with mastitis. Weight gain is nearly double of normal range.  Baby fussy not because of gas and too much hindmilk, but because milk is just pouring into him.  Worked with mom on various positions and the only one that works well is side-lying.  Baby handles flow much better, both mom and baby are able to relax, but milk is pouring out of this kiddos mouth.

The delicate balance of keeping mom from mastitis and not having her pump too much which will increase her milk supply has been difficult to manage.  
Same side feeds times 3 to 4 have made no difference.  

Began using Sage, very low dose, and with firm instructions to not use too much and carefully observe changes in milk supply/baby's feeding behavior/contentness, etc.  She finished first bottle of Sage in 5 days when it should have lasted at least 10.  No difference.  Without my permission, mom purchased another bottle of Sage and downed that in 3 days time... she is obviously feeling desperate and on the verge of what she thinks is another set of plugged ducts and possible breast infection.  As she said to me:  In baby's less than 2 months of life, I have had sore, cracked bleeding nipples, fever, chills, hard breasts, plugged ducts, breast infections  - this has never been comfortable, my breasts ache when I try to sleep and my breasts have never felt normal of comfortable since I began breastfeeding.

So, now 3 days later, and all this Sage  ( also forgot to mention that she has been taking Lecithin), and same side feeds and she can still feed baby probably 4 plus ounces from one side and still pump 2 oz in less than 1 minute.  Mom pumps very sparingly - trying to keep that fine line of not getting plugs with not telling her body to make even more milk. Anyway, how much Altoids can she possibly take to make a difference.   Since baby feeds same side times 3 and won't go 4, increasing same side feeds is not an option.  

I have some additional thoughts, but was wondering what you thought.  Any ideas?  BTW, in desperation, tried a nipple shield to help slow flow and possibly have an impact of decreasing milk supply.  Not standard textbook use of a nipple shield, but 2 years ago when I was stumped, and after all else failed - the nipple shield was the magic answer for that particular mommy.  She used that shield for 6 months and when at home fed baby with mom on her back and baby laying on chest facing breast.  After about the first six months, supply normalized and mom went on to feed baby for at least 2 years. 

Thanks for taking the time to read through this post and I look forward to hearing replies. 

Lori J. Isenstadt, IBCLC
Peoria, AZ

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2