Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:03:33 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Billie,
We have had this struggle as well in our hospital. We kept Mom and baby together after C/S for years in order to initiate breastfeeds unless there was a medical condition of either Mom or baby, which took priority. Then our unit started to explode in volume of patients being seen- especially on the 7a-7p shift when more cases were scheduled. Our nurse manager thought getting baby to Nsy while mom was still on the OR table, to get the admission done and then they could reunite in RR for breastfeeding/bonding. Sometimes it would work out that way and many times it would not. As LCs we discussed how this was not in Mom or Baby's best interest. As a staff Nurse in L&D  who frequently is in the position of caring for 3 fresh Post-op women and babies at the same time I can relate to both sides of the coin.  It is a traffic flow problem, a safety issue a staffing issue etc. We do the best we can given the circumstances and try to get breastfeeding off the ground in RR as much as po
ssible. As an LC and Staff Nurse I am always in the position to influence and offer help to the RR nurse whenever possible. It's a situation that needs to be looked at from all angles and unfortunately staffing is not getting any better, so we must find creative solutions. Decreasing the amount of documentation that needs to be done would help, but in our litigiounous(sp) society I can't see that as a reality either. The paperwork nurses are expected to fill out is incredible. Multiply that by 3 patients, add the medical complications in, the baby who needs attending, the phone, and giving care, need I say more.
We need everyone on board to make it happen and committ to giving the best start to mom and baby.
Jane Ciaramella

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2