Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2013 08:54:33 +1000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
While a breastfeeding pillow can be useful in a few specific situations (premmie baby, tiny baby, twins, mother with an arm deformity), over many years I have found it is mostly unnecssary. It can also be an impediment to latch, after the mother has spent money or been given one. This is especially true for mothers with lower breasts, with or without a large baby. Leaning back on pillows or in a recliner chair can open up her lap and allow the baby to come nicely on from under, with a good latch. Using a pillow instead places the baby higher than the nipple/areola complex - and then it's silly to try to lift up the breast to reach the baby's mouth, and keep the heavy breast supported all through the feed.  In this situation, getting rid of trhe pillow and trying a more laid back position will work without the hassle.

Yes, waterproof pillows are available with a wipeable vinyl cover (at least one of them with a mobile phone pocket hanging off i). I own one of these, but I've only very rarely used it, mainly when demonstrating it to colleagues. It takes up cupboard space!

Virginia
in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Lisa O'Neill wrote:
I am a first time poster looking to the expertise and experience of the group. I have have been asked to consider the potential infection risk of using cloth breastfeeding pillows in community breastfeeding support groups. We have traditionally advised mothers who use these cloth pillows to cover them with waterproof pads that we provide or with their own receiving blankets; is this approach reasonable? This is being viewed by some from an infection control aspect considering breast milk as a body fluid. I have searched the literature and the Lactnet archives and have not found anything on this topic. There seems to be an appetite to move to vinyl pillows. I would appreciate any feedback. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2