Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2010 11:11:37 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Is mother going to a residential treatment center after delivery with the baby?  This would be my question.  The baby has been exposed and even though mom is breastfeeding will probably have withdrawal.   

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sunday, February 07, 2010 11:06 PM
Subject: Cocaine positive mom/baby and breastfeeding

I need some advice from those wiser than myself.  What do you do when you have a mom come in who has a drug history, is found to have a positive urine for cocaine, as well as the baby after delivery.  Mom wants to breastfeed, and is allowed to put baby to breast, or baby is given pumped breastmilk.  Drs are aware of L5 status, but are allowing the feeding.  Are there policies/protocols for hospitals already in place for this situation?  If so, would you be willing to send me a copy - don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have too.  Main concern (aside from health of baby), is the legal ramifications of giving breastmilk that may contain cocaine while baby is in the hospital, and complications arise with the baby because of it that may have detrimental effects (ie death of baby).  Thanks!

Brenda Enfield, RN, IBCLC
[log in to unmask]

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2