Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 17:44:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
I agree with Barbara that the discussion of EFA's is important and that too few of us know much about basic nutrition. 

I want to add a bit to the discussion about flax seeds. Flax seeds need to be used fresh--I would never suggest gringing them and storing them, b/c it is unecessary. If you take the oil, you will have to store it, but it should be used within 6 weeks of opening. There is a great deal of debate over the best oils to use, partly b/c of environmental contaminants. One thing to consider is that the more we eat processed foods and especially trans-fats (margarine, cooking oils such as corn, canola, safflower, sunflower, almost any kind), the more we are depleted of EFA's. The EFA's have been removed from these oils through a chemical process that renders them toxic, (in the opinion of various experts), but gives them a long shelf-life. It is the omega 3's and omega 6's that are unstable. Olive oil naturally contains no omega 3s or 6s, so the fact that it is not processed is why it is most preferred. So, by eating more olive oil, you are likely using less of the other oils. The other approach is to add EFA's to the diet (which in my opinion is pointless if you are going to continue to use these health-depleting oils in any quantity). Flax seed has a more potent effect on the gut when used whole and really serves no purpose, as the gut cannot digest the seeds. Grinding them or using the oil tends to pose little problem for people (not that I would give either directly to young babies). The other healthy oil to use is coconut oil. Avocados are also good to eat. Other seeds that can be very good are hemp seeds and chia seeds (like the ones used to grow chia pets!). Vhia seeds actually have more omega 3s than any other. BTW, Americans also tend to get enough omega 6s and are way out of balance in omega 3s. For this reason walnuts may mot be a good choice as they are high in both. For many women evening primrose is a good oil. Again, I recommend "Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill" by Udo Erasmus. There is a really a wealth of fascinating info on oils available.

I also agree that many people are protein-starved. If we think about the snacks people tend to eat--is is often things like chips, pretzels, cookies, candy bars. But, OTOH, Americans also eat too much protein overall--protein needs to be eaten throughout the day, not in huge quantities at one or two meals. I think if we really assessed the nutritional profile of American women, we'd see magnesium deficiency, zinc deficiency, a deficieny of B's and of course EFA's--for starters. 
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2