Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 2015 10:01:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Hi there! I agree with what the others have said, in that much of it depends on what baby's NICU course involved (illnesses, general feed-n-grow, other co-mormidities, common to see GI reflux, and other developmental stuff)... As much as assessing baby for health, wellness, and current health status, mom will need the same attention, with special attention to her mental health. Having a premie is difficult enough, compound other factors such as guilt she did something wrong, lack of trust in her body to provide what baby needs, possible ppd, any underlying issues or health concerns, also her social supports and economical? Is she married, single, full support, no support, work full time, part time, etc.
It would likely help to have a current list of active resources for mothers with premies or other such, meetings/support groups, etc.

In terms of grown and weight gain, we really cannot assume than because he is now at 40weeks he should act and be like a term baby, unfortunately it doesn't work that way. He will likely still need human milk fortifier (supplementing) for a while yet, and again, work closely with his PCP...
I think it would be appropriate to gather as much information on medical history and the hospital course as possible, and screen carefully for mental wellness, and supply insufficientcy (many NICU moms are not given a appropriate guidance on pumping to establish and maintain supply while baby is inpatient)....also, figuring out her goals, i.e. Does she was to eventually 100% breastfeed at the Breast, or is she open to supplementing with shield/feeding tube or bottle until baby is strong enough to transition, etc, then being realistic about how long and how much dedication it could take...she may have to grieve the loss of exclusive breastfeeding...

I'm interested too see what comes of your case. Good luck, thank you for sharing. 

Erin McIntire RM, BSN, IBCLC, Birth Doula (DONA)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2