Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:27:32 +1300
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Becky, I think I hear what you are saying here.  Asking to provide these protocols is like asking an obstetrician to provide protocols before attending antenatal appointment or at any birth.  And we all know there are no two births exactly the same! There are so many variables in any given consultation/procedure that precise protocols are not practical. This sounds a little pedantic to me. As health professionals, we hopefully follow evidence based practice and apply our knowledge within guidelines set by our professional body.

Could you get away with stating "protocols will be within the guidelines set by  blah, blah, blah.  Or create a flow chart that follows a pattern to reach a conclusion.  This flow chart could include references to the literature you mention.  This could give continuity of advise within the individuals needs/abilities. This could be very basic but satisfy those who are seeking this extra paperwork!  I wonder if their aim here is to try and address one of the major complaints against breastfeeding advice and that is the little nasty known as conflicting advice.

I'm trying to think of a saying that goes something like this, "rules are for the guidance of the wise and the adherence of fools"  (or something like that).

Karen Palmer
New Zealand
Midwife and IBCLC

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2