text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Barbara posted from a  mom:
"I was thinking
 > that I would really try to take a lot of calcium supplementation now and
 > during the chemo. Do you have thoughts about:
 >
 > 1) Is there anything I'm missing here?
 >
 > 2) Is there a particular type of calcium that is more bioavailable?
 >
 > 3) How much should I take?"

This is something I have researched in the past year. Calcium itself is not necessarily the primary concern. In a vast majority of cases, it is magnesium, although there is always the issue of overconsumption of protein causing depletion of calcium in most Western diets. Chemotherapy depletes the body of many nutrients, though, and this mom would be very wise to consult with an nutritionist skilled in the use of herbal supplements (or an herbalist skilled in nutrition), as the body responds very poorly to synthetic vitamins--food-based sources of supplements are essential. One of the problems is that oncologists tend to know as much about nutrition as most peds do about bf'ing. They will usually take a blood test which includes a level of magnesium. However, this is dangerously misleading b/c the patient will be told her levels are within normal range, when, in fact they may be dangerously low. The body will deplete the bones of magnesium, so blood levels will be normal even w!
hile the bones are crumbling. Th
e heart is also placed under severe strain by many chemotherapy drugs and magnesium is key in protecting the heart. There are many other supplements which can be protective during chemotherapy (such as COQ10 and vit C) and many herbs, such as milk thistle and chinese mushrooms which can detoxify the liver and enhance the efficacy of the drugs. Avoiding all animal proteins and relying on fresh, organic fruits and vegetables, as well as non-animal proteins can have a major role in healing the body. Too many patients focus on "killing" the cancer and pay no attention to nourishing and healing the body. It's like putting all the attention on birth and waiting until the baby is born to learn about bf'ing. Best of luck to this mom.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2