Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 22:57:24 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
I think I have posted alot about how and why and when I use pre/post feed weights. Even though I don't routinely "test" weigh babies who look good and are gaining, sometimes it is easy to put them back on the scale (from their body weight check) and see what they've consumed. I would say the range is 34 to 84 ml for 3 to  days old. That's what I'm seeing. Today was an Hispanic baby being breastfed but followed up with 2 to 4 oz of formula on every feed. He took 34 ml on one breast. Mom's breasts were fuller but not real full, not surprising, she was not bf much in hospital and supplementing excessively at home. The baby had gained 0.5 oz in 2 days. 
My advice - exclusive bf. 
Heather, I think it would be enlightening if you would share how you would manage the following baby or advise and assist the mother:
34 wk gestation, birthweight 5 lbs 15 oz, on IV fluids first day or two, nothing by mouth. Began bf on day 2, very drowsy, spoonfed, mom expressing for him. Baby had jaundice then and was on bili blanket therapy. baby discharged on day 3 weighing 5 lbs 10 ounces. Dyad comes for BF visit 48 hours later (now 5 days old), weight is 5 lbs 8 ounces. Jaundice has increased. Baby is breastfeeding exclusively 10 to 12 times per day. Mom has very good supply, extra in freezer.Would you do something different if mother had very soft breasts and not expressing much milk at all? 
(folks, you can manage this dyad without pre/post weights if you have good followup). Also Heather, would you comment on what you would advise if baby came back and had lost more weight (I'm assuming you would do a body weight, would you or not?) 
Thanks for any insight, I do appreciate and respect your viewpoint.

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
Mississippi, s.e. USA

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2