Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Apr 2008 21:00:29 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (42 lines)
Rachel learned the conversions exactly the way I did.  I'm trying to get to the bottom of 
the 0.5 g/oz difference and not finding it.  I thought maybe liquid ounces might be 
different -- but they fit within what Rachel and I learned --- that is about 30 milliliters or 
grams to an ounce (depending on specific density) as a volumetric indicator and when 
you get tighter it is about 28 point grams something to an ounce.  So, what the CDC used, 
and the Troy ounces are close an the Avoirdupoid is the 28.3........... grams to an ounce.  
I even went to liquid volumetric conversions and found that a US ounce is 29.57 ml.  
Which makes sense for the 30 ml to an ounce that Rachel and I learned.

So, that leaves me scratching my head over the 35.2 gram conversion for weights on a 
scale.  The 35.2 grams actually fits better with my impressions of this little baby girl who 
has always struck me as slightly petite, but gaining within her range.  It also fits with the 
percentiles for her head circumference.  But this is really irritating me because this could 
have huge ramifications in terms of health care practitioners who only look at static 
weights and need to be nudged beyond that concept.  

If anyone has any idea why there is the 35.2 gram per ounce conversion, please let me 
know because I have not yet found an explanation for it.

I do not know why the US is so backwards in using an antiquated system that involves a 
base 16 system.  I cannot tell you how many times nurses and doctors have become 
confused over the base 16 conversion in trying to figure out the 10% weight loss.  I 
always calculate it twice to make sure I haven't made a math error.  And of course, this 
must be backed up by looking at all sorts of other signs in the baby as well as other 
sources of measurement error.

Best, Susan Burger

PS.  Trying to keep the scale locked up tonight so I don't measure everything in sight --- 
solid, liquid, and gas to figure out why there is this weird conversion factor.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2