Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Aug 2015 22:26:56 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I work in private practice, so I can't attest to the hospital policy question, but I did have a client recently that we had to deal with the Methergine question. She had a late post partum hemorrhage. She way 6 days post partum when it began. They had to put her on methergine for 36 hours I believe. She contacted me because she was told to pump and dump. That didn't sound right to me, so I contacted Dr. Hale's group at the Infant Risk Center. Apparently if only one dose is given and it is in the colostrum period immediately after birth, then the drug is considered an L2. However, if several doses are given and it is after milk has come in, then it is considered an L4. She did indeed have to pump and dump for 48 hours I think. 

Deirdre Cannon, IBCLC, LLLL
For Babies' Sake Lactation Services
817-995-3615
> 
> Date:    Wed, 26 Aug 2015 17:41:07 +0000
> From:    [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Methergine
> 
> I am a hospital Lactation Consultant and I just received an e-mail today about an FDA warning on methergine and breastfeeding. Don't know how late I am in finding this out or if it's still very new. I did check the FDA website and it does indeed say that this is a new warning issued and that the recommendation is to discontinue breastfeeding for 12 hours after last dose is given. Does anyone know if Dr. Hale has had anything to say about this?  In his latest book, it is listed as an L2. What are other hospitals doing?
> Stephanie Sperling RN IBCLC
> 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2