Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jan 2008 00:28:33 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
I got to attend the screening last night in St. Louis and was impressed.  The online trailer had seemed a bit sensational to me and I was worried the film might be too radical for the "general public" to take it seriously.

However, the film itself was very low-key and rational.  Our audience was passionate so that was fun---cheers and jeers and awwwws in the parts you'd expect. 

When it comes out in Feb on Netflix, I'd definitely recommend it.  I'd also recommend gathering as many people in one place as you can to watch it.  I think togetherness will help generate the energy needed to turn the birth intervention tide around.

Since, as previous discussions have mentioned, practicing midwifery without a medical license in Missouri is a felony, this screening was done as a fundraiser for the fund that helps with midwives' legal fees.  I think it's both for their legal defense when necessary and for the fees it's costing to push the bill through the legislature to decriminalize midwifery.  

The sponsor of the bill attended and spoke during the discussion after the film. One of his points was very interesting.  He said, "The legislature is afraid of you---because they can't tell how many of you are out there."  I think he meant they couldn't tell how many voters care about this and if "everyone" wants midwifery legalized, they'd better do it!

I have no financial interest in the film, just a passion that women should make their own fully-informed choices about birth.

Debbi Heffern
St. Louis, MO

No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition. 
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1223 - Release Date: 1/13/2008 8:23 PM

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2