Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:53:11 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
I was a midwife in the labor/delivery ward for 14 years - and am now a IBCLC for the past four years - working as the coordinator of breastfeeding at my hospital, meaning getting to Labor and Delivery also...mostly when the midwives ask me if I can give some help...
I have a few of my own beliefs about breastfeeding immediately after delivery.  I feel that skin to skin after birth for the first two hours is SO important -more important than making a big effort to get that baby to breastfeed.. MAINLY because I realize that it helps the diad - mother and baby - to recover from the birth experience, is a Win Win situation that requires no effort , there is nothing to "succeed" in - it is just a "being"  situation that is beautiful for Mom and baby.  And if the baby goes for the breast - great..and if not, or the breast is offered and the baby doesn't GO FOR IT - that's fine.  .I also truly don't like to give "instructions/ advice" during those first two special hours..I know that proper latching is important, but that mother JUST GAVE BIRTH - I could never see myself "instructing her" - maybe a little helping the baby get the nipple farther into the mouth , maybe a word here or there - there is plenty of time to help her when she is in Postpartum ward - those first two   hours after birth seems like a special, quiet , almost holistic time ( having nothing to do with the fact that the baby had a natural or very interventioned ( is there such a word?)  birth, maybe even a C-Section.....I know that babies are "supposed to" "immediately" start breastfeeding beautifully - but I see so many mothers and babies that are SO content just lying there Skin to Skin, relaxing, bonding in their own special way. ( and in the past, before I discovered the beauty  of Skin to Skin ,I remember many frustrated
Moms and babies doing their best to breastfeeding, because Mom and Dad both knew that was the best thing to do immediately after birth...)
I'm glad that you brought the subject up - because I too am interested in how others " do it" during that first period after birth labor/delivery ward, and am interested in any comments about what I wrote..
Close to the Heart
Leslie Wolff, ISrael

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Bubeck IBCLC
Sent: 27 November, 2009 19:34
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: IBCLC in the labor & delivery room

I'm looking for suggestions from anyone who goes into the labor/delivery room and talks to laboring moms intending to breastfeed and then goes back at the time of delivery.  If you do it...how's it working for you?

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome Quality Bytes MailXpress Message:
Spam? Click the link below
http://mail.hazorea.org.il:16000/spam.php?spam=1&qid=0000000000687179

DISCLAIMER: This mail message was scanned for malicious content by Quality Bytes Mail Security when leaving the gateway of Kibbutz Hazorea
http://qb.q-bytes.com/qbms/?c=hazorea

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2