Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2016 08:00:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
 I know it takes 20-30 years to get into practice.  My thesis in 1994 was called Paper to Practice.  that was 22 years ago, just about when Kangaroo Care was being talked about, 20 + years it is being used in a lot of hospitals for healthy FT babies.  It has been used for preemies longer, but not everywhere.  Funny that someone figured out if it was good for preemies, then gosh maybe we should do it for FT babies too.  
57 years ago I briefly saw my newborn in DR, no holding, for 1st 24 hours she got sugar water via bottle, then next day I got to nurse her every 4 hours,  3min on each side, next day 5 min and so on.  She was only in my room 1/2 hour every 4 hours.  After 7 days you basically got handed a little stranger to take home.
When my engorgement left I figured I had no milk.  We lasted 2 1/2 weeks because she wanted to feed every 2 hours and I was supposed to wait at least 3, of course I didn't have 'enough' milk and I didn't get my hands on Womanly Art of Breastfeeding until 1966! He nursed 2 years :-)

But that still doesn't answer  my question...why does it still take so long?  In other areas of medicine, does it take so long? or is it just OB/Peds?  Pat in SNJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2