Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 May 2004 08:35:43 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
Hello Lactnet People,
I work at a mid size Level III hospital in the northwest. Our current policy around supplementation is that the healthy term baby who is rooming in with mom has the 1st 24 hours to establish breastfeeding, and while we DO keep trying to get them to breast, we do NOT start any supplementation until they have had 24 hours of ineffective feeding.  We do check their blood sugar anytime they've gone 8 hours without latching, and would supplement for a BG less than 37.  1st choice for supplement is mother's pumped colostrum of course.  My dear co-worker would like to extend the 24 hours to 36 or even 48.  I have looked in ILCA's evidence based standards for a guideline on this to no avail.  It seems like most of the literature on hypoglycemia says the healthy term newborn has stores that last through the 1st 24 hrs.  Here's what I'd like to hear from LActnet:

1.What kind of timeline do other hospitals use for initiating supplementation in a breastfeeding dyad where breastfeeding is not going well yet?
2. Does anyone have citations from the literature that would support waiting longer than 24 hours to supplement a baby who is not feeding effectively at breast?
3.  Can Nancy Wight weigh in on this if she is available?

Please cc your posts to me personally.
Thanks in advance from 
Martha Johnson RN IBCLC
Eugene OR 
USA 

--------------------------------------------------------

This message is intended solely for the use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable state and federal laws. If you are not the addressee, or are not authorized to receive for the intended addressee, you are hereby notified that you may not use, copy, distribute, or disclose to anyone this message or the information contained herein. If you have received this message in error, immediately advise the sender by reply email and destroy this message. 
--------------------------------------------------------

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2