Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 08:33:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I would like to add something to this discussion. I believe that hospitals should refer to experienced IBCLCs who are in private practice because many PPLC have tons of knowledge in the abnormal breastfeeding stuff like sucking and swallowing disorders. 

Some women leave the hospital not having been fully helped by hospital staff (including the IBCLC and nurses) because these people did not have the necessary experience to diagnose the problem. 

I get lots of calls from moms who have seen the hospital "LC" and were not helped sufficiently and now believe no one else can help them. This belief makes them very reluctant to pay for a private consult with an experienced IBCLC who has skills above and beyond anyone else who has already worked with them. Yet when they go ahead and see someone more experienced, they are delighted with the results. 

Also with pumps, my WIC will lend an Elite to moms with premature or sick babies in the hospital. In my area, some hospitals only have a contract for one month (no less) and won't give refunds for shorter time not used. But a local pump dealer who recognizes these are low income people who will get a WIC pump soon will do very short term rentals to tide them over, or give a refund for unused time upon returning the pump. So, please pass out other names or at least the 1-800 numbers of Ameda and Medela.

Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC, Houston, TX

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2