Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 2010 19:54:45 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
I have nothing to add about stringy milk but will second what Gonneke wrote - sounds like inflammatory process to me.

Like Gonneke I am far behind on LN posts, but wanted to add a comment about Yasmeen's post on the slow gaining baby.  I'd want to look more closely at the baby, at a feed, and like Heather I would want to be sure that the breastfeeding really was on the baby's terms.  Heather wrote that the total gain from lowest weight after birth was 640 g, but I can't get the total weight gain to be more than about 350 g.  Birth weight was 2880 g, loss before leaving hospital was less than 5%, which means 144 g at most, and at six weeks the baby only weighs 3080 g, which is 200 g over birth weight (total gain from lowest weight until weight at 6 weeks is 200 + approx 150, or 350 g, which is less than 12 ounces.  Since we know that the baby didn't reach birth weight until three weeks, despite a very small initial loss, and is now six weeks old, the gain for that last three weeks has been 200 g, or about a third of what we might see in an average, thriving baby who gains 200 g per week.  This is such slow weight gain that a careful look at the baby is warranted.  

Heather's comments on how to ask the mother about the pattern of breastfeeding are right on target, in my opinion.  Of course there may be something about the baby or even the milk production that has nothing to do with how breastfeeding is being handled by the mother, but any attempt to find out what is behind the baby's slow weight gain will have to take both factors into account.

Rachel Myr
Kristiansand, Norway

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2