Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:03:04 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
The thing is, maybe if you work for a hospital, they will cover any liability for the use of ABM. Being Community Based and Private Practice, I STILL don't touch specific formula questions (with the possible exception of showing a better way to feed than a bottle) with a 10 foot pole.  Even in a hospital setting, does the IBLCE Code, The Who Code and The Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative SAY that is part of our job or part of the ethical LC work? I don't think so. 

I just sat for the IBLCE Exam for the third time, and for the 3rd time there were absolutely NO questions about the proper use, mixing and administering of ABM. Only questions about the absolute, no holds barred, evidence based superiority of Human Milk. 

IMO, no, LCs are not "there for all moms" We are there for Breastfeeding Mothers, because THEY have no one else, in many cases, to help them with THEIR choice to breastfeed. There are myriad places to get info on formula feeding, Pediatricians, the can of ABM, other maternity nurses, probably MOST of the mom's friends and family. 

I simply do not think MY JOB, my training and MY qualifications are supposed to be used to show someone how to mix and administer ABM. I wasn't trained for it, it is not in my job description per the IBLCE, and I also don't want the liability of the damage done when ABM is used. Is Bristol Myers, Nestle or Abbot labs going to back up my work or lawsuits when somebody's baby becomes ill from yet an other Formula Recall, or damaged immune system,  if I specifically suggested a Mother use that ABM? No way in heck. 

I recently re-read the chapter on "The Specificity of Human Milk" in Breastfeeding and Human Lactation by Riordan, and WOW I was reassured by the science and the evidence based information that I am making the best choice for my practice and the best and safest choice for MY clients by NOT being a "Formula Consultant."

Your mileage may vary. Maybe I'm becoming Old School, but I can't do this job any other way. 

Mary Jozwiak 
Private Practice 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2