Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Sep 2013 20:25:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
Received this from LLLL colleague.  She is frustrated by the response she received from a doctor.  She wanted to throw it out to the Lactnet professionals for input.  After you read this, breathe.  Then, come up with your BEST piece of research or rationale.  Enjoy!!
Angela Love-Zaranka, BA, IBCLC, RLC
Alexandria, VA

Hello all.

I am looking for some support from fellow lactation professionals. I ran across a pregnant mom whose Internist had mentioned that formula is just as healthy as breast milk , and challenged the mother to provide 2 medical journal articles to the contrary. I exchanged some emails with the physician, and ultimately provided 8 journal articles (studies on obesity, diabetes, upper respiratory infections, etc. that were reduced with breast feeding) plus the  Surgeon General's Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding. Weeks later, she responded by completely picking apart every study and concluding that none provided definitive evidence. Here is parts of her reply... 

"Based on my training in Pediatrics in 2011 (which could very well have updated recommendations by now) this topic was known to be insufficiently
studied. While there are studies that prove breast milk to be "sufficient" in nutrients for developing infants & studies that prove some health benefits; there is limited data proving breast milk to be "healthier" in all regards to formula milk just as there are studies that fail to prove breast feeding beneficial.

Most studies either portray breastmilk advantageous in some areas but not all. Therefore one should not & cannot claim breastmilk nor formula milk the panacea. As health professionals, we understand that there is more to medical claims than the label "healthier". The truth lies in the research
details. Statistical data & suggestive terms such as "may", "can" & "postulate" are key when presenting findings to the public to prevent from stating unproven affirmative claims.

Majority of these articles were helpful in proving the point that research on this topic is both supporting & conflicting. Therefore, breast feeding may have its benefits but it should not be claimed as superior."

I'd welcome input on how you have responded to Doctors who are stubborn in their position that formula is as good as breastmilk. Or, at the least, point me to studies that are irrefutable.

Thanks!

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2