Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2010 08:59:03 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Dear all:

First, a big thank you to Marcia who always keeps on top of the problems with formula.   This is an invaluable service she provides to us all. 

Second, I have to respectfully disagree that all parents can read cans well. First, on a personal note, I have found that my ability to read instructions has gone down with more education.  I always think I can outsmart the instructions and get myself into trouble.  My colleagues at Cornell always joked that we were acquiring P(ermanent) h(ead) D(amage).  I have had three examples of parents improperly mixing formula this week.  Just because we don't see immediate damage, doesn't mean that it wasn't harmful.  This excuse is often used by others when they say "oh, my baby was fed formula and is fine".  

But, least I fall prey to the model of  "because my baby was fine even though such and such happened" or "this particular baby was fine .... "   statements using personal experience as a guide for what happens among our clients, the research backs me up on this one.

One of my professors at Cornell gave us articles on the hypo and hypernatremia that happened as a result of improper mixing.  Even highly educated parents do NOT mix formula well.  So above and beyond what you would need to do to kill the E Sak in that powder, you really should be teaching parents who are using powder or even those ready to mix liquids properly.  Remember, new mothers are right brain enhanced --- intuitive functions heightened.  This means that they are not really supposed to have to use the analytic side of their brain to measure and mix, making sure they eyeball the meniscus of the liquid properly on a level surface through something clear enough that they can see the bottom and using a knife to level off a proper measuring spoon.  Ditto for dads, they may be sleep deprived and not do the job well.  And the research shows this to be true.

All formula is NOT created equal and the powder sent in emergency conditions is particularly DEADLY.  Yes, DEADLY.  

We SHOULD be on top of these issues so that we don't make the blanket statements that "it is all the same", when in fact, its not.   Since I certainly would not say that powdered formula is just the same as liquid formula to an nongovernmental organization that is assisting in a natural disaster situation, I wouldn't say it to an individual parent either.

Best, Susan E. Burger, MHS, PhD, IBCLC

Seen on the New York City's subway Poetry in Motion series:
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions;  both dispense with the need for thought."  Henri Poincare 1854-1912.  Science and Hypothesis.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2