Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 09:07:32 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
RE Diane Wests Post:

Attitude certainly is a big part of potential success.  A few years ago I had a client with 3rd baby, who had never even tried to bf first two as she assumed and was told that she couldn't.  She called me with this baby, and we battled. She was a pretty close acquaintance and I was very interested in the outcome so I really worked hard. I was there nearly every day, we had phone contact constantly, there was milk transfer, baby was swallowing, signs of fullness, all the good signs.  Along with emanating to her the usual bfg information, baby's cues, supply and demand, and a whole ocean of the usual stuff, we were following the baby's progress and were happy to report that he was gaining weight and appeared to be thriving.  After this success I called her each week and after a few weeks she informed me that she QUIT. (after sustaining a backache, and aching muscles in the upper thighs and virtually abandoning my own young children at that time - I wanted to kill her!) But her reason for quitting was, "who can have a baby hanging from your breast all the time!!"  and the HCP's were telling her he wasn't gaining enough. So, the point is, that even if there are chances of success, not always are moms encouraged to BFAR, and certainly their own self confidence is lowered - as is our own whilst helping them by virtue of the fact that we just aren't sure if it will succeed.  I looked at that case as a success. her decision to quit was not due to the reduction.

OTOH, I had a client who came to me with sore nipples, who was feeding like a champ, scars hardly visible and I am embarrassed to admit that had she not mentioned the fact that she had undergone reduction, I might have missed it!!! She just assumed she would nurse, and sure enough, had no problem.!!

Not only do we have to help our clients overcome the usual barriers of successful bfg, but our work is compacted by the unknown.

We just have to try our best.
ellen shein, ibclc, llll
Tel Aviv

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2