Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 2010 13:23:25 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
I agree to this recent thread about opportunity and availability.  I cannot believe the changes I see in many moms after 3 or 4 months.  They do things that they would never have considered the first 3 months. Suddenly, they don't want to nurse at night or co-sleep.  They are so busy running around that the babies are in the car sleeping through feeds or are put off for feeds because it is not convenient.  Before you know it, the supply is down and they can't figure out why.
I commonly say to my clients, "Your baby owns the feeding thing, you just happen to have the milk, your job is availablility!"   They become less available, the supply suffers......they could take all the supplements in the world but , "if you don't use it, you lose it!"  When you tell them they need to slow down and provide unlimited access to the breast, well, let's just say, sometimes that is not what they want to hear.  It's almost like they would rather hear anything but that!   But someone has to say it and that someone is us.

Maria Parlapiano RN IBCLC
Postpartum Place
Chatham, NJ 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2