Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2001 09:14:38 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
Fio:
I also remember the days (and still have them) when my skin would crawl, and the blood would rush to my head trying to correct mis-information and trying to "right" many situations which I felt was in my power to do.
It took me years to realize that it is up to the mom to actively look for help. The mom at your husbands workplace was lucky that she had Steve to give her the best suggestion she could wish for: a direct number to a lactation person who could "solve her problems". From this point onwards IMHO it is TOTALLY up to that mom to solicit councelling. If she isn't the one to initiate contact you, and you call her, you may be spending your precious time beating a dead horse. I think you would be  setting yourself up for yet another very frustrating outcome, only worse, one in which you are directly involved. From experience the scene could get even nasty with her being pretty offended that you should even be calling her - who asked you to, etc??? As one who in the early years of practice used to do that, I can say that for the small percentage of Moms that would appreciate it, there were many more who didn't even consider that they had a problem. (i.e. I wanted them to bf their babies more than they did!!) Unsolicited advice, even that given with only the best intentions,  can be percieved as "criticism" of a person's choice or decision.

What I would suggest is to tell your dh that he could ask her how she is getting on, and if she sounded receptive, to ask her if she would like to receive a call from you.

We can lead a horse to water, but can't make them drink! the mom may just be looking for that "out". I think we have to save our energies for helping those who want our help. (I am obviously talking about those of us volunteer leaders, and lc's in private practice. It is different in a hospital setting.)

Ellen Shein, IBCLC, Tel Aviv

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2