Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2008 13:37:09 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (51 lines)
I contacted the US Department of Labor to inquire how to get lactation consultants listed in the handbook. They replied within 2 hours! I copied the information from their website below. However the book has an amazing amount of other information in it.

About the Handbook: The Occupational Outlook Handbook is a nationally recognized source of career information, designed to provide valuable assistance to individuals making decisions about their future work lives. The Handbook is revised every two years. The Occupational Outlook Handbook tells you:

the training and education needed 

earnings 

expected job prospects 

what workers do on the job 

working conditions 

Below is the letter I received stating how to get an occupation listed. I will forward this on to the US Lactation Consultant Association as I think that is who should be responsible for obtaining this listing.

Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC
Weston, MA

Dear Marsha, 

Thank you for your input. The titles we use in the Occupational Outlook Handbook and in other Federal data must conform with the Federal Standard Occupational Classification Manual. The 2000 Standard Occupational Classification (SOC) will not be revised until 2010, so no changes in the manual or titles are possible until then.  However, I suggest you go to the SOC website – www.BLS.gov/soc/home.htm.   As this site indicates, you can send information about potential changes to [log in to unmask]  or you may fax the information to 202-691-6444 attn: SOC Update Committee.  This information will be placed in a file and provided to the committee for its consideration when it convenes, which is anticipated to happen soon.

Thank you for your inquiry. 

Henry T. Kasper 
Economist 
Office of Occupational Statistics and Employment Projections 
Bureau of Labor Statistics 
[log in to unmask] 

http://www.bls.gov/oco/

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2