Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2019 09:46:14 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Dear all, I seek a bit of advice for my daughter and grandson.  From birth he had a thick and very tight ligual frenulm.  His tongue is very heart shaped and has a line on top.  From the beginning he struggled to latch directly at the breast so I organised him to have a nipple shield, which meant successful milk transfer.  The tongue tie was assess and 3 doctors said it was too tight and thick and were not happy to do it. Finally a consultant at the children's hospital did it at around 3 weeks old. He could still not latch well without the shield despite using all the tricks to get him on.
He is now 16 weeks and her milk supply has been going up and down - she's now on domperidone and has previously used herbal galactagogues. (she also had a late PPH and lost 1000mls).  His weight is below what it should be, but he is contented, laughing and smiling and as far as I can tell, not undernourished with plenty of wet and dirty nappies.   However, the HV is trying to get her to use formula, which she is really not keen to do.  The main query is that the tongue tie is still present. His tongue doe not protrude beyond the bottom lip and is still very heart shaped with a tight line on the top.
 The Doctor is reluctant to cut again as she said there is too much scar tissue and it could affect his speech later.
Has anyone any ideas on what to do next?  I live about 800 kms away so am not much help!
PS. She has perservered and I am so proud of her :)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2