Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 20:10:36 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (24 lines)
Considering some of the topics we have been discussing lately, I was reflecting while staring at the ceiling in the hospital.

Medicated birth vs. the term natural birth....
Well after 6 hours of strong pitocin I fell victim to having some Nubane put in my IV line... I almost had an epidural, but thank the good Lord for moving things along before the proper medical personnel got there.  My baby was groggy from the nubane, but she snapped out of it pretty quick and seems to be fine now.  Her suck was a little uncoordinated for a bit and I guess I could attribute it to the drugs.  Anyway, my point... I still consider my birth to be natural because a) the nubane didn't do anything for my pain and b) I didn't have any drug assistance in pushing her out.  I guess I would term it a natural birth, but then with the pit drip it's not really considered natural anyway... given the chance to do it again, I would wish for a natural birth with NO pit drip.  

Formula handouts from the hospital....
Jeepers.. you tell them you want to nurse and they still bring you all kinds of crap you don't need.  I got no less than 4 containers of formula, in their "breastfeeding bag", if they put that in the breastfeeding moms bags, what on earth goes into the bottle feeding moms bags?  The offenders ... Ross and Enfamil, and damn, I wish the Enfamil bag wasn't so cute!  Even though this was my third hospital birth, I was still shocked at the amount of "stuff" they sent home with me.  The nurse did tell me that they were on a quest to turn the hospital into a baby friendly one... I asked her if she realized that meant no more cute little green bunny bags with Enfamil in them.  She had no clue what it meant to be baby friendly!  

Anyway, I had just been gathering those thoughts over the last 48 hours to share with you all.  If you are interested in reading about our entire birthing experience and of course seeing a picture, you can see it at www.nurturingmama.com/birth.html  Thanks to all of you from here that have been so supportive!

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Did you hear? Breast is Best!
Certified Lactation Counselor
IBCLC Exam Candidate
Homeopathic Counselor in training
www.nurturingmama.com  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2