Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:59:03 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Hello,
  I'm a family medicine practitioner, from France, working in the UAE since 1998. 
  Medical thesis (1993) was on breastfeeding as a birth spacing method.
  Five children (18 to 5 years old), all happily breastfed from 22 to 45 months ('ecological breastfeeding, with around 2 years LA).
  IBCLC since 1993 (Paris), then 1998 (UAE), recertified by CERPs 2003.
  Became LLLLeader just before leaving France (1995), and then Reserve Leader.
  Working in a Maternal and Child Health Center (MOH), where I'm in charge of the Lactation Clinic (the first of this kind in the UAE) opened in 2001 (after an observership in the Breastfeeding Clinic in Women's Center, Oxford, run by Chloe Fisher and Sally Inch), with the support of volunteers from 'Breastfeeding Friends (BFF)', founded with other health professionals in 1999.
  Chairperson (and founder member) of BFF, which is patroned since 2004 by the Supreme Council for Family Affairs of Sharjah, and has now an active mother-to-mother branch (peer counselors trained by LLLI) since last year (hotline in Arabic, English, website, monthly mothers meetings, pump hire station).
  External assessor for BFHI. Lecturer and trainer for BFHI courses.
  When I came in UAE, I was the only IBCLC in the whole country. Then Renee Hefti came from Canada during two years in another district, and later on Bridget Roache, from Australie, who organised training courses all over the country. There are now around 200 IBCLCs in the UAE, and the UAELCA has been affiliated to ILCA last year.
  Lecturer for the UAELCA course for IBCLE candidates and supervising trainees in the Lactation Clinic.
  Preferred topics: positioning and latch-on (asymmetric latch-on), impact of ankyloglossia (regular frenotomies done in the Clinic), overactive MER, importance of counseling skills and peer-counseling.
  In the Clinic, I see some mothers with challenging cases and I don't find enough specific information in the books. That's why I want to be part of the lactnet network, hoping to benefit from the others' experience.

---------------------------------
Access over 1 million songs - Yahoo! Music Unlimited.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2