Date:
Wed, 6 May 2015 19:05:09 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
"Date:    Tue, 5 May 2015 09:58:47 -0500
Subject: Re: excess lactose and milk freezing

Julie , dig around further in archives.  I think this has been discussed every few years, LOL. Maybe do your experiment with additional fats.  Is your daughter doing this for science fair?  Pat in SNJ"~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She is homeschooling, and no, it wasn't for the science fair, but she did use it for science credit.  (We also did one with cabbage juice, DampRid, and baking soda.  That one was more fun, to be honest.)  I've been wanting to do this experiment for a while, but I would have had to order 3 bags of lactose, and this was the first time I knew someone making the WAP formula and could give me a couple tablespoons.  

If this experiment had produced a result of milk not freezing with extra lactose, then I was planning to do a 2nd one with low- and high-fat human milk (using a gravy separator to engineer the milk) and no or extra lactose added, but I don't really see a point.  What do you think?  Is it worth exploring?  I kind of feel bad using human milk for this when it could be going to the milk bank!  (I got the milk from a MB donor.)  

When a mother's milk doesn't freeze, people often ask if she was drunk when she pumped.  Could I ethically do that study?  Get a mom drunk, then have her express her milk, then see if it will freeze?  I'd be a bit leery about doing that one!

Julie Tardos
 ==== Anything worth doing is even worth doing badly.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2