Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 14:38:49 +0100
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (20 lines)
Dear List

I am truly stunned at the abuse lumped on my opinions! I am solidly pro BF. All 3 of my own kids were exclusively BF [by my wife of course!] and this is because we felt BF to have loads of advantages. 
Contrary to some postings I have read widely, wisely, and well over a period of 19 years and have listened and learned from top researchers. I have had a number of postings supporting my stance - most unfortunately to me privately as no one else wants to attract the negative comment I am getting!
For a list to be vibrant there must be scope for individuals who do not wish to toe a party line to post without being accused of 'troll' activities, or of being novices.
I have supported many parents and I believe that I have always given people solid advice [with the emphasis being on the benefits arising from BF]. 
I think it is wise to accept that I am making exactly the SAME ARGUMENT as those who are accusing me of being ignorant of the issues. I am merely approaching the issue from another direction. Please be receptive of the right of other writers to have opinions too.
The key point which I feel needs to be addressed - and which has been ignored is as follows: YES formula always has risks, BUT the risk factors do not actually lead to problems for most formula fed babies. I am really asking for us to consider that in this light it might be better to plug positives rather than negatives. I am also NOT resting on a Breast is Best platform - I use a raft of about 40 references in a 2-3 hour lecture to prove that there are a wide range of diseases which can be reduced by BF.
I also feel that where I replied I replied to whole letters. I was quite dismayed to find on a number of occasions that selective quotes were used out of context which actually made me look as if I were supporting formula!!!
My apologies if anyone was offended [especially by a facetious political joke] - but I pitched in because I wanted a rational debate from which I would learn. If one has to feel exactly the same as every other writer then the list would be redundant. Further it is only when we are challenged that we can assess the strengths of our arguments - I will certainly consider using some of the points in future talks.
What I will not do is use 'scare' tactics - unless any list member can supply me with a reference which conclusively proves that every formula fed baby is damaged [not at risk of damage but actually damaged]. When that study is out I will happily adapt my style and will accept your postulations without reserve. in the meantime I will continue to point out potential drawbacks with formula - and for most babies they remain potential and not actual. As to negligence this is laughable - I accept a duty of care, do not breach it, and have not harmed a child! - this is a legal term and not useful if used as an emotional accusation.

Tony Knox

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2