Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:19:37 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Stockpiling breastmilk.  Arrrgg!  This seems to be becoming a standard that mothers believe they must practice, starting almost immediately after birth.  So we have lots of focused attention on the pump (as WELL as those hand-held devices) and then lots and lots of obsessing over whether their supply is "enough" "dropping" "needs building."  

Then I get mothers in to my clinic stating that they have exausted all of their stockpile and need formula.  Did they pump every time they or a caregiver offered some of that stockpiled milk?  No!  

I think the insistance that every mother in a health plan be allowed to get a breast pump is going to make things worse.  We need a national teach-in on  "How The Breast Makes Milk."  And what interferes!

Stockpiles are for premies.  And even then those mothers need to pump or nurse when the baby gets out of the hospital.  These mothers often do what I described, above, and then "don't have enough milk,"

Sue Jacoby
CA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2