Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 01:30:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
Greetings!
Someone approached me this week (not a client) and told me that she has a 9 month old who she was told to take off the breast because he was not gaining weight.  *sigh*. They cannot get him to eat enough solid foods to get the calories he needs and were told that if he stops breastfeeding he will eat more. *groan*  Or perhaps this mother's milk is not nutritious enough  *????* 

At any rate, he could not take enough formula either and she decided to give him someone else's breastmilk. The only donor she felt comfortable with was somone who had a freezer full of milk that she pumped for her preemie. The child is still not gaining weight and after she heard a talk I gave that included info about how the milk changes with the child's age a proverbial lightbulb went on. 

I assume that preemie milk will not be dense enough in calories for an active 9 month old but did not want to tell her that based on conjecture. Could one of you out there help me out?

We disscussed the idea of allergies (which she strongly refuted) and I suggested that she go to a pediatrician who is a bit more proffesional than the public health staff she saw - who in our area are notorious for lack of expertise.

This child simply will not consume adequate amounts of food -solid or liquid.  Reflux? Gastrointestinall problem? Tongue tie? Swallowing issues? Any other ideas?

Thanking you, as always, for being there and sharing your experience and wisdom ,

Riva Weissfish BA, CCE, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2