Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2014 14:05:24 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Congratulations on your grandbaby! I'm sorry she's in such discomfort. 

Of course, without seeing her, it's really hard to know what is going on, but "silent reflux" popped into my head as I was reading your post. Have you been with her to witness/help with latching and nursing? Do you hear that classic "silent reflux" wet burp and swallow noise? These poor babies are exposed to the stomach acid twice, once on the way up and once on the way down again. 

I'm not a fan of rigid "block feeding" as we now know it can lead to supply and gaining problems, but perhaps if your daughter can take her off the breast for a few seconds during the first ejection of each feed and let the fast flowing milk flow into a clean cloth diaper or burp rag, then put the baby back on the breast, using Laid Back Breastfeeding positioning might help. 

Mama and baby might also want to get some good probiotics into both of them. The antibx after the birth could have set up a GI bacteria balance problem in both of them, and probiotics may help with healing. (I personally prefer enteric coated probiotics for adults because the good bacteria in the capsule then avoids the acids in the stomach, as the enteric coating doesn't open until the capsule is safely in the alkaline environment of the small intestine where it will do the most good.) Babies tend to have less stomach acid than adults, and they can't swallow capsules (obviously) so powdered Bifidobacteria Infantis (placed on a damped finger and offered to baby) or liquid should do just fine, offered between feedings, as long as she gets the type that needs to be refrigerated. (NOT the Gerber brand.) 

Also, some body work, CST, Chiro etc may help the baby organize better, especially after the revisions and the surgical birth. Stiffness and hyper-tonic babies tend to do well with some body work, whether there are midline oral anomalies or not. This will also help with sputtering and swallowing problems on the breast. 

I hope she's feeling better soon. 

Warmly,

Mary Jozwiak, IBCLC, RLC
International Board Certified Lactation Consultant, Registered Lactation Consultant, Senior Post Partum Doula
Birthwaysinc.
Chicago IL USA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2