Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 May 2002 11:41:07 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Hello-
I introduced myself a few months back and first of all would like to thank all those wonderful people who wrote to me when I asked about being a NP or LC or both. I made a great decision and it was with help from those women on this list, THANK YOU.
That said, I have a question. It sparked my interest a few days back when someone (sorry I can't remember who, darn it) mentioned the formula manufactures might be or in theory-could be- sued based on their lack of information to new mothers regarding the harm their formula "might" cause to their baby. Or maybe it was because they are putting DHA in their formulas now and say it is superior because of it, they are admitting their own shortcomings in their other "non-DHA" formulas. My thoughts are, has anyone ever heard about a mother suing one of these companies because of lack of correct information about the possible effects of feeding formula or  has anyone sued due to being "pressured" by the formula companies after birthing a baby and after stating clearly they are going to breastfeed only (this happened so badly to me with my second kid, I felt harassed, I had to call them over 3 times to get them to stop sending me junk!)? Such as, breaking the WHO code?
I am asking a honest question, makes me think of the first people to start suing the tobacco companies for lung cancer and what has come of all that. It sure would be great, at least in theory and in my mind, if someone did stick it to them and then donate any winnings (which could be HUGE) to help breastfeeding organizations, promotion on TV, WIC, etc..
Just something I was thinking about last night during a 3 am period of insomnia (sigh).

Heather Davis, RN
NP in training

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2