Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Apr 2011 23:40:17 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Laura I heart you.  What you said about there being little evidence on both sides is exactly what I want people to hear.  There are times that clipping is important, but that isn't all the time.  My son was born 3.5 years ago and I remember so vividly sitting in my hospital bed trying to latch him on (I bf'd his older sister for 3.25 years and she was 5 at the time of his birth) and not being able to and being completely flummoxed.  Not upset really just completely and utterly confused.  I hadn't started working in this field yet and was surprised that after having been able to BF nearly upside down and backwards that "it wasn't working."  I knew it wasn't me but huh?!? What is it?  The night nurse was useless.  Because of course this all happened at 2am.  I gave him a bottle of formula and got some sleep and figured I would deal with it in the morning after some sleep.  In the AM he was of course hungry a nd gave a great big wail...and VOILA! There I was presented with my father's mouth!! I will not share the deep Freudian reaction I had, but holy geez!  I got on the phone and called my father immediately and told him that it was all his fault!  My son had his tongue tie! Patience and flexibility paid off and after the first 2 weeks my son was exclusively breastfed until the day he swiped a chicken bone off my plate.

3.5 years later my unclipped son is perfectly normal and has had a great dental report.  So, no not every tie should be clipped and, yet there are times it is really important, therefore I wish more ENTs took the time to do a consult prior to clipping so parents could make a truly informed decision.  Without a preoperative consult parents are placed in a position where coercion is possible. 

Lea Rivera Todaro, 
IBCLC and PhD forthcoming- thankfully and gratefully.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2