Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Nov 2015 21:19:01 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
I am a lactation consultant in large Level III NICU,  two of our current mothers tested positive for Group B strep in their breastmilk.

The first baby was born at 23weeks gestational age.  The baby has tested positive for GBS twice and became ill at corrected gestational age of  31.6 weeks in her stay once and again at 34.5  corrected gestational age.  The baby is now corrected to 35.5 and we are stopping mother's milk and starting formula today.  Our NICU physician is too worried to ever restart mother's milk even after she is full term.  He discussed everything with our infectious disease doctors today and they agreed not to restart breastmilk.  The Infectious disease doctor did not feel that treating mom with antibiotics would help and she should just quit pumping.  We are starting a weaning process today.  The mother has over 1000 oz of milk at home in a freezer.  I am checking with a local milk bank first before we toss this milk.

The second mother has a similar story.  She decided to keep her milk in case she can feed her milk in the future due to pending lab results repeat testing of her milk.

I am looking at some research to support any of this information.   If  anyone has any research already that could help me so I can help these mothers or just have more information for the future if this happens again in the NICU.  Thank you for anything you can give me..

Jennifer Tomlinson RN, IBCLC
Mercy Medical Center
Des Moines, IA

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2